The Deuterocanon for the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church
- Tobit The story of a Jewish family taken to Nineveh during the Babylonian captivity. Tobit, the blind father, sends his son Tobias on a journey and he encounters an angel, fights demons, and works miracles.
- Judith Literally “Jewish Woman” is about a beautiful young widow who saves her city from a military siege and is very committed to following the Law of Moses
- Baruch Named after Jeremiah’s scribe and disciple. Contains exhortations against association with idolatry, celebration of the Law as God’s “wisdom,” and encouragements and promises to faithful Jews.
- Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) The proverbs and teachings of Joshua Ben Sirach.
- 1 & 2 Maccabees An account of Jewish history from 175 B.C. to 135 B.C., during which time they fought for and gained national independence from the Greeks and re-established Temple worship which is commemorated by Hanukkah.
- Wisdom (of Solomon) Compares Jewish religion with Greek philosophy, and shows faith to be the highest form of wisdom.
- Additions to Esther: Fulfillment of Mordecai’s Dream, Interpretation of Mordecai’s Dream, Conspiracy of the Two Eunuchs, Letter of Aman and the Prayer of Mordecai to the Jews, The Prayer of Esther, Esther Comes into the King’s Presence, Letter of King Artaxerxes
- Additions to Daniel
- The Prayer of Azariah and Song of the Three Holy Children An embellishment of the fiery furnace story
- Susanna and the Elders Daniel, by divine wisdom, saves a young woman accused of adultery.
- Bel and the Dragon Daniel exposes idol worship
- Additions to Baruch: Letter of Jeremiah
Eastern Orthodox Church Only:
- Prayer of Manasseh a psalm of repentance, composed to suit the situation of Manasseh, the king of Judah who was carried captive to Babylon
- 1 Esdras A revision of Ezra with a extra story about Zerubbabel who gets the king’s support to rebuild Jerusalem by winning a riddle contest
- 2 Esdras A Jewish apocalypse.
- 3 Maccabees The story of a persecution of the Jews under Pharaoh Ptolemy IV in Egypt
- 4 Maccabees An elaboration of the stories of martyrdom in the book 2 Maccabees:
- Psalm 151 A Psalm of David after defeating Goliath